Wednesday 11 March 2015

Bhubaneswar Musings



Picture Story

Surprised to see an unusual picture! He is neither ‘Modi’ nor 'PK' nor Dhoni!! He is one of the most common men of India. He was our watchman at residence in Bhubaneswar. His name was ‘Sahebo Patro’. Why he is here? Read the story.

Sahebo was a disciple of ‘Guru Purnananda’ and every day evening he recites the slokas through books with a special modulation such that they can be heard even passerby our street. This was a regular welcome tune by the time I reach home from college. 

OK. OK.. what is the story??

One day I observed he was struggling to read the verses, but tempo continued. Curiously I asked him “is there any problem in reading”. “No problem ‘babu’(He affectionately calls me like that) I simply hold the book as a customary practice, I can recite all the slokas without the book” he replied. He also added “But now-a-days I am unable to see clearly the distant objects, persons and managing somehow”. I understood that he needs some ‘eye check-up’ and certainly he might need spectacles even considering his age (he may be 70+). He might have got ‘cataract’ also. We do regular ‘eye check-ups’ for all ‘our’ near and dear. But who will take care of him. Very poor person.

Then I decided to help him. I could not do any service to my both grandfathers (Maternal and Paternal) as my paternal grandfather expired before my birth and I enjoyed my best times with my maternal grandfather as a child, but by the time I was grown up, he was no more. 

“Mousa (we usually call him like this) get ready, we will go to ‘eye testing’ this Sunday” I told him the previous day. With amusement and shock he said “I am not having that much money babu”. “Don’t worry about that” I told him and took him for ‘Eye Check-up’. The Doctor who himself a disciple of ‘Satya Sai Baba’ took nominal fee and informed me that, Mousa was having very high power (-3.5 both eyes) and cataract also started, which needs to be operated after full growth. Based on the prescription I arranged reasonably good quality spectacles and now you can observe a smile on his glowing face! He started again with full vigor in reciting the slokas!!
You may ask, ‘why this story here sir’? Yes, I never tell or canvas my services to society. But once my (Ex)colleague and good friend (Mr.Satya Prakash Dash)  advised me, to use social media to propagate such information as some of our friends may be inspired to do such good works. 

Also I need to mention here about my inspiration from The ‘Times of India’ ‘I LEAD INDIA’ campaign which tells about helping those people around you like ‘Domestic help’, watchmen, security guards, drivers, office boys, paper boys, milk suppliers etc. I have read so many success stories in ‘TOI’ about providing help(No need to spend money, your valuable time only required) in ‘opening a bank account’ (now the pradhan mantri jan dhan yojana), ‘getting a janata insurance’, getting ‘adhaar card’, 'voter card’ ‘creating awareness about various government welfare schemes’ ,'swachh bharat' to mention few. 
To serve the sky is the limit. Let’s Start from our surroundings !!

No comments:

Post a Comment